10 Fun Facts About Teeth
Below are 10 fun facts about teeth we thought you’d enjoy learning about.
- The enamel on the top surface on your tooth is the hardest part of your entire body.
- Teeth start to form even before you are born—milk teeth or baby teeth start to form when the baby is in the womb, but they come through when the child is between 6-12 months old.
- Humans use four different types of teeth (incisors, canine, premolars, and molars) to cut, tear and grind their food.
- Humans have only two sets of teeth in their entire lifetime—baby teeth and permanent teeth. Once you have your permanent teeth, make sure you take good care of them.
- No two people have the same set of teeth—your teeth are as unique as your fingerprint, so be proud of your unique set of teeth.
- Your mouth produces over 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime—that’s enough to fill two swimming pools. Saliva has many uses, including assisting you with your digestion and protects your teeth from bacteria in your mouth.
- An average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth over their lifetime.
- Many diseases are linked to your oral health, including heart disease, osteoporosis, and diabetes.
- One third of your tooth is underneath your gums—that means only two thirds of your tooth’s length is visible.
- If you get your tooth knocked out, put it in milk and hold it in your mouth—this will help your tooth to survive longer. Make sure you see a dentist right away.
Share This Article
About York Dental Clinic
York Dental Clinic is a Fredericton, NB based dental clinic.
We're a full time family-based Fredericton dentist office offering all aspects of dentistry. Our dental practice offers personal attention, commitment to excellence and a no-nonsense approach to oral health. Our number one priority is your comfort and satisfaction. Your individual needs are always considered and your choices always respected.