How a Dental Exam Works
The dental exam is critical to your ongoing oral health—and only your dentist can perform this.
The exam consists, in part, of the dentist looking inside your mouth. In the past, you may not have ever realized an exam was taking place. Perhaps you thought the dentist was checking the work the hygienist had just completed.
Not so. The dentist actually looks in your mouth for things that can affect your oral—and your overall—health. Many of these are things you can't see on your own, but that a dentist is trained to detect. Here is some of what your dentist is looking for during a dental exam:
- damaged, missing or decayed teeth
- early signs of cavities
- condition of your gums, such as periodontal pockets, inflammation or other signs of gum disease (which can lead to tooth and bone loss)
- to see how previous dental work such as root canals, fillings and crowns are holding up
- early signs of mouth or throat cancer, such as white lesions or blocked salivary glands
- other suspicious growths or cysts
- position of your teeth (e.g., spacing, bite)
- signs that you clench or grind your teeth (a treatable problem that can cause headache or sore jaw and can, if serious, lead to hearing loss and tooth loss)
- signs of bleeding or inflammation on your tongue and on the roof or floor of your mouth
- the overall health and function of your temporomandibular joint (which joins the jaw to skull), checking for signs of disorders that can cause pain or tenderness
- the general condition of the bones in your face, jaw and around your mouth
Share This Article
About York Dental Clinic
York Dental Clinic is a Fredericton, NB based dental clinic.
We're a full time family-based Fredericton dentist office offering all aspects of dentistry. Our dental practice offers personal attention, commitment to excellence and a no-nonsense approach to oral health. Our number one priority is your comfort and satisfaction. Your individual needs are always considered and your choices always respected.